If you run into size limitations with an EBS (Elastic block storage) volume attached to your EC2 instance it just takes a few minutes to expand the storage space.
- Unmount the small volume (assumed to be /dev/sda here).
- Detach the unmounted partition from the instance.
- Take a snapshot of the detached volume.
- Recreate an EBS partition from the snapshot.
- Attach the EBS disk to your instance.
- Resize and remount the larger volume with:
e2fsck -f /dev/sda resize2fs -p /dev/sda e2fsck -f /dev/sda tune2fs -l /dev/sda mount /dev/sda /somewhere